Posted by: hagengreen | March 17, 2010

Post-surgery update

I had surgery this morning for my broken wrist. Since I’m sitting at home and feeling pretty good right now, I thought I’d give an update to everyone on how things are going. (I think the drugs have worn off by now! :)) Again, thanks to Windows voice recognition, I’m able to dictate this entire blog post.

I’m told the surgery went very well.  Of course I was pretty much knocked out for the duration of it, but afterwards I felt pretty good.  It was kind of funny coming out of the anesthesia since I don’t remember much immediately after the surgery and what I was saying.  Apparently I asked about how large the incision was about five times. (1 cm.) One of the first things I remember is telling the people around me is how many times I was seeing them.  I was seeing 4 Jaime’s at first.  That’s slowly changed into 2 Jaime’s. Then finally one.  Finally, the blurry vision went away.  But it took about 20 minutes.  Anyway, I felt great walking out and I feel really good right now.  No pain and back to full non-drugged consciousness. They told me I’d have amnesia where I wouldn’t remember what had happened for some time before the surgery.  That didn’t seem to be the case as I remember everything before the surgery.  The amnesia happened afterwards.  I remember having sweet dreams when I was put out.  I don’t remember what I was dreaming about, but I do remember something positive and happy.

Unlike last time where I left the ER thinking I was macho man, Jaime filled the pain prescriptions for me.  I figure I may need them this evening.  I learned a valuable lesson the first night of my injury: it’s better to have them than not have them.

For your entertainment (and because I couldn’t help myself), I’ve put up the cool pictures of the aftermath. I just hope I don’t consistently set off the metal detectors at the airport! We’ll see this Friday when we travel down to California for Jaime’s cousin’s wedding…


By the way: I rode the triathlon bike on the trainer a couple of nights ago. It felt great to get spinning.  I still can’t wait to get back out there!  🙂


I forgot to mention how wonderful my surgeon and his medical team have been throughout the entire process.  They instilled a ton of confidence and answered my many questions along the way. They were very professional yet understanding of my needs.  I would recommend them in a heartbeat. Thank you University of Washington Eastside Medical Center and the University of Washington Medical Center on Roosevelt.

<update – 3/18/10 @ 7am>

Got through yesterday and last night without a hitch! I’ve (still) feel great and didn’t need to take the pain meds. I must say that surgery was the easiest part. Now just have to get this huge splint off my arm! It’s like double the size of the cast I had on before surgery.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: